[talk-au] railway lines and nearmap

James Andrewartha trs80 at student.uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 25 16:31:16 GMT 2009

2009/12/25 John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:
> 2009/12/25 Franc Carter <franc.carter at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Somethng that struck me recently is that in areas with NearMap
>> coverage there is potential to do a much better job of mapping railway
>> lines - i.e lines, sidings etc could be added.
>>
>> What's people opinions on doing so ?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:railway lists
service={yard,siding,spur} so there's obviously support for this.

> Perth's imagery is so good you can see how the switch points are positioned.

And indeed the Perth yard has been mapped quite well, the only issue
is how to tag lines that go through a building:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-31.94934&lon=115.87216&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF

I'm tending towards the opinion that if it's dual track, both lines
should be mapped. Both for clarity, since you have to map both tracks
when they diverge anyway, but also for routing based on associating
platforms with lines. All Transperth stops have numbers, including
platforms: http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/TimetablesMaps/Services4mobiles/TransperthsSMSservice/tabid/341/Default.aspx

Speaking of Transperth, anyone want to hazard a guess as what the
license on http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/TimetablesMaps/SpatialDataAccess/tabid/254/Default.aspx
means? I suspect "non-exclusive, limited and revocable rights to use,
reproduce, and redistribute" isn't quite enough, as there's no right
to alter the data.

James Andrewartha