[talk-au] railway lines and nearmap

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 12:02:51 GMT 2009

2009/12/26 Richard Colless <firefly at ar.com.au>:
> What's people opinions on doing so ?

More information the better :)

Just because it exists in the database doesn't mean it always has to
be rendered, different renderings suit different people, which is why
the OpenCycleMap tiles exist.

> I've been driving around some areas that are OSM mapped, but almost devoid
> of features except the road. I find that having extra non-drivable features
> makes the map more "comfortable" - gives you confidence in your location.
> (I've been adding small creeks and dams around SW Sydney).  Railway lines
> would add the same detail, but precise accuracy wouldn't be needed, so they
> could be added quickly, without detailed surveying.

If you do this, just add a note/fixme that the information you add
isn't accurately surveyed, otherwise they may assume it has been.