[talk-au] Wrong way round the roundabout

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 05:47:13 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

>> My 2 cents: anything that is less important than tertiary is:
>>
>> 1) if it is a named/public road:
>>  * residential if lined primarily with people's homes and used
>> primarily by people accessing those homes
>>  * unclassified otherwise
>> 2) service otherwise (unnamed or restricted access)
>
> What about service roads? They're lined with houses, and used primarily by people accessing those homes. Surely highway=service.

That depends what you mean by "service road". Following the scheme
given by 1) and 2) above: If it's named/public, highway=residential.
Otherwise, highway=service.

> Also, what about weird dinky little strets you sometimes get in suburbia that are paved with red bricks or something equally creative, but are also the primary means of access to houses? Residential or service?

Again, if named/public, highway=residential, otherwise
highway=service. That's what I do, anyway. If not fantastic, at least
it's simple. But this is now off-topic.