[talk-au] Suburb boundaries

Franc Carter franc.carter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 03:26:13 GMT 2009

I just had a conversation with a really helpful person at the ABS.

She indicated that the ABS is taking a view of the data that is very
similar/compatible
with (at least my understanding) the view that OpenStreetMap is taking
towards the
data.

Specifically she indicated that the ABS was not specifically concerned that
attribution was
done in a specific manner, just that the attribution was able to be found.
She will put
something in an email so that we have an official statement.

So, it looks like we may well have a some valuable data to add, which is
good because
I already spent a couple of hours working out hot to import it ;-)

There are two issues that I have come across with converting to osm:-

   1. What way do we want to represent the data, e.g closed ways or
relations consisting
       of borders - something else ?

   2. The more technical problem that the boundaries are defined fairly
precisely (or more accurately
       there are lots of points defining the boundaries). So the .osm file
is very large - so eyeballing
       it in josm is not going to work.

So I'm interested in people's suggestions of how we want to represent the
data and on methods we can
use to sanity check the data before we upload it.

cheers

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 6:23 AM, James Churchill <pelrun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Franc Carter <franc.carter at ...> writes:
>
> > While putting together an email for this I came across an issue.
> > Currently OSM is Creative Commons licensed which looks pretty compatible
> with
> > their license (ignoring the practicalities of attribution). However the
> license > is being discussed at the moment and may well soon change and/or
> split.
> > Should I wait until the license issue gets 'sorted' ?
>
> I don't see a problem - the CC license the data is under only requires
> attribution, it doesn't restrict what the license of the derivative work
> is. And
> as OSM is looking for a license that (and I quote) "needs to give our
> database
> the same three basic licensing elements (freely copiable; share-alike;
> attribution required) as it has at present" there's little worry of OSM
> becoming
> incompatible.
>
> At least, the matter shouldn't delay inquiries :)
>
> - James

Franc