[talk-au] Suburb boundaries

Darrin Smith beldin at beldin.org
Thu Feb 5 04:39:02 GMT 2009

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 14:26:13 +1100
Franc Carter <franc.carter at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are two issues that I have come across with converting to osm:-
>
>    1. What way do we want to represent the data, e.g closed ways or
> relations consisting
>        of borders - something else ?

I'd personally prefer border relations. But given Franc and I seem
to be the only significant creators of relations in .au anyway (A
search of the australia.osm reveals we're the only two with > 100
relations) I don't think the majority of regular osm mappers have got
relations yet.

However I think relations are the way data like this is going in OSM.

>    2. The more technical problem that the boundaries are defined
> fairly precisely (or more accurately
>        there are lots of points defining the boundaries). So the .osm
> file is very large - so eyeballing
>        it in josm is not going to work.
>
> So I'm interested in people's suggestions of how we want to represent
> the data and on methods we can
> use to sanity check the data before we upload it.

Lots of the cases are along roads/rivers/railways I imagine to
make them align with what we actually have on the map, lots of review
is going to have to happen once it's actually in the map anyway.

Given nearly all suburb boundaries are multiples (one suburb on each
side). I'd think 1 way for a common boundary between 2 suburbs and
joining up all those ways for each suburb in a relation would be the
way to go. Then people can review them in areas where there's existing
data and re-align them down the middle of roads they run along or
remove the chunks than overlap single ways and add those ways to the
boundary.