[talk-au] Suburb boundaries

Darrin Smith beldin at beldin.org
Thu Feb 5 05:02:05 GMT 2009

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:52:43 +1100
Franc Carter <franc.carter at gmail.com> wrote:

> From a 'philosophical point of view', I tend to agree that suburbs
> are made of
> a set of boundaries between adjacent areas. This was not how I did it
> in my first (very quick) attempt ;-(

An advantage of having to sort out the legal issue means you get a bit
of time to fiddle around trying out options before you get the full
a-ok and import it ;)

> The data is in shapefiles that define each suburb boundary
> individually, so I'll have a think about how to extract out the
> individual borders (suggestions
> welcome)

Hmm, so there's no real surety that 2 adjacent suburbs even share the
same boundary? Perhaps then the single area option might have some
merit from a 'getting the data in there' point of view.... or we write
a convoluted script to correlate things...

> One question about aligning them that springs to mind is 'what should
> we align' - I wonder if the accuracy of the data is better than the
> average accuracy
> of a gps or yahoo imagery.

That's a tricky question because it might be more 'accurate' because it
might measure to an exact positional definition but is that useful or
relevant to the OSM structure whereby a boundary down the middle of the
road is more conceptually accurate....

Guess we have to get a small sample of the data into a city somewhere
where we have plenty of GPS as a trial run (once we have the full ok).
and see how it correlates to reality.

GPS + Yahoo never correlate enough (at least in SA) to make it possible
for both to be relevant :)