[talk-au] Suburb boundaries

Jack Burton jack at saosce.com.au
Thu Feb 5 05:59:39 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 14:26 +1100, Franc Carter wrote:
> I just had a conversation with a really helpful person at the ABS.
>
> She indicated that the ABS is taking a view of the data that is very
> similar/compatible with (at least my understanding) the view that
> OpenStreetMap is taking towards the data.
>
> Specifically she indicated that the ABS was not specifically concerned
> that attribution was done in a specific manner, just that the
> attribution was able to be found. She will put something in an email
> so that we have an official statement.
>
> So, it looks like we may well have a some valuable data to add, which
> is good because I already spent a couple of hours working out hot to
> import it ;-)

That's great news!

> There are two issues that I have come across with converting to osm:-
>
>    1. What way do we want to represent the data, e.g closed ways or
> relations consisting of borders - something else ?

Closed ways (areas) - as that's how ABS define them, so it will make
merging updated ABS data into the OSM Australia dataset (each time ABS
update their dataset, which is presumably quite regularly) significantly
easier.

>    2. The more technical problem that the boundaries are defined
> fairly precisely (or more accurately there are lots of points defining
> the boundaries). So the .osm file is very large - so eyeballing it in
> josm is not going to work.
> So I'm interested in people's suggestions of how we want to represent
> the data and on methods we can use to sanity check the data before we
> upload it.

Might I suggest that trying to verify the entire set of Australian
suburb boundaries by inspection would seem an impossible task anyway -
wouldn't be able to "see the wood for the trees".

For sanity checking purposes, why not split the generated OSM file up
into a bunch of small, managable areas - then pick one you know really
well and check it out in josm. If you're concerned that areas you don't
know well might need checking too, perhaps put the whole lot on a
webserver somewhere and ask on the list for other mappers to download &
check out areas they know well too before doing the bulk upload to OSM?

Regards,

Jack.