[talk-au] Suburb boundaries

Jack Burton jack at saosce.com.au
Thu Feb 5 11:13:47 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 21:16 +1030, Darrin Smith wrote:
> Futher to this I was looking back through this thread (thinking maybe
> about having a look at the data myself) and I James said:
>
> It's described as "These boundaries have been based upon localities
> gazetted by the Geographic Place name authority current at the time of
> the Census."
>
> So it's always going to be out-of-date anyway and updated every 4
> years, it's not going to change often. But it's a much better start
> than what we have now :)

Very good point. I agree now that there's not much point trying to
automate updates as the ABS dataset changes - that could be accomplished
faster by just manually updating changes as & when gazzetted (so long as
someone keeps an eye on each Gazette, but that shouldn't be a problem
spread across all the Aussie mappers) [Anyone know what the status is of
the copyright (if any) on the Gazette itself?].

I still prefer the idea of areas rather than relations for suburb
boundaries in general, for a whole bunch of reasons states earlier
(which I won't bore the list with again), but I guess that's just
something we'll probably always have differing opinions on...

Regards,

Jack.