[talk-au] Suburb boundaries

James Andrewartha trs80 at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sat Feb 7 11:06:57 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 19:30 +1030, Darrin Smith wrote:
> Of course I only found out recently not only does S.A. have Hundreds
> as a land administration boundary but they also have Counties. Of
> course sourcing that information for a free source could be extremely
> tricky :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadastral_divisions_of_Australia covers the
various divisions - counties, hundreds, parishes, land districts etc.
You may also be interested in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrens_Title
which suggests the state land registries are the people to contact, but
they're usually operated on a cost recovery basis. For example, WA has
datasets including road centrelines, property street address:
http://www.landgate.wa.gov.au/corporate.nsf/web/Fundamental
+Datasets?OpenDocument
http://www.walis.wa.gov.au/resources/gis_resources/web_mapping.html/ has
guidelines on web mapping using these datasets, but they don't really
account for OSM usage, so ministerial pressure might have to be sought.

James Andrewartha