[talk-au] couple newbie questions - ways with mixed surface types and mapping detail for funky features

Jeff Price jeff.price at rocketmail.com
Wed Feb 18 00:14:33 GMT 2009

G'day,

Hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction for advise on some mapping I've done.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-26.90444&lon=152.94041&zoom=16
Two questions
1) Is it correct to split ways for surface changes?  As the road goes from paved to gravel a couple times I have been splitting the way and tagging each section with the appropriate surface. If the split is correct, is there then a way to control the name display when rendered so that its name doesn't appear 6 times?
2) Did I do the one-way section correctly (tied into the above question about names displayed when rendered)

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-27.27722&lon=152.9542&zoom=16
I can see the mapper here has put in funky little bumps for road wriggles and culdesacs. I live in a area with hundreds of km's of unmapped ways so have been worrying about just getting the ways into OSM and not so much if its got a speed control wriggle or a couple car parking bays.  Is this level of detail the required standard or has the mapper gone beyond the call of duty and deserves a round of applause?

Regards, Jeff (jeffp_oz)