[talk-au] couple newbie questions - ways with mixed surface types and mapping detail for funky features

Peter Ross peter at emailross.com
Wed Feb 18 00:28:38 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Jeff Price <jeff.price at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> G'day,
>
> Hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction for advise on
> some mapping I've done.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-26.90444&lon=152.94041&zoom=16
> Two questions
> 1) Is it correct to split ways for surface changes?  As the road goes from
> paved to gravel a couple times I have been splitting the way and tagging
> each section with the appropriate surface. If the split is correct, is there
> then a way to control the name display when rendered so that its name
> doesn't appear 6 times?

Yes it is correct to split a way everytime a tag on a way changes, in
this case the changing tag is surface.

There is no way to control how a renderer renders the map.

You could use a relation to group all the fullerton road ways and then
put the name just on the relation, I'm not sure how the current
renders handle that situation though.  You may end up with no name at
all, but that is a bug in the renderer not a bug in the data.

Does anyone have any links to a discussion about this?