[talk-au] couple newbie questions - ways with mixed surface types and mapping detail for funky features

Peter Ross peter at emailross.com
Wed Feb 18 00:34:22 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Jeff Price <jeff.price at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-27.27722&lon=152.9542&zoom=16
> I can see the mapper here has put in funky little bumps for road wriggles
> and culdesacs. I live in a area with hundreds of km's of unmapped ways so
> have been worrying about just getting the ways into OSM and not so much if
> its got a speed control wriggle or a couple car parking bays.  Is this level
> of detail the required standard or has the mapper gone beyond the call of
> duty and deserves a round of applause?

This level of detail is the hoped for standard, but you should
contribute just to the level you feel comfortable with.  Just remember
some data is always better than no data.  As people add to it, it will
slowly be refined.

Personally I used to do a lot of tracing but left it up to others to
do the actual naming of the streets.  I've noticed a lot of what I
previously traced is now named.

Pete