[talk-au] couple newbie questions - ways with mixed surface types and mapping detail for funky features

Darrin Smith beldin at beldin.org
Wed Feb 18 06:41:22 GMT 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:14:33 -0800 (PST)
Jeff Price <jeff.price at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> G'day,
>
> Hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction for
> advise on some mapping I've done.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-26.90444&lon=152.94041&zoom=16
> Two questions
> 1) Is it correct to split ways for surface changes?  As the road goes
> from paved to gravel a couple times I have been splitting the way and
> tagging each section with the appropriate surface. If the split is
> correct, is there then a way to control the name display when
> rendered so that its name doesn't appear 6 times? 2) Did I do the
> one-way section correctly (tied into the above question about names
> displayed when rendered)

I think it's generally considered the norm to split the way when any
tag change occurs (maxspeed, bridge, surface, classification).

> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-27.27722&lon=152.9542&zoom=16
> I can see the mapper here has put in funky little bumps for road
> wriggles and culdesacs. I live in a area with hundreds of km's of
> unmapped ways so have been worrying about just getting the ways into
> OSM and not so much if its got a speed control wriggle or a couple
> car parking bays.  Is this level of detail the required standard or
> has the mapper gone beyond the call of duty and deserves a round of
> applause?

Think of OSM as a wiki, every person contributes to the level they are
comfortable with, and someone can come along later and adjust the data
again to add the bumps and wiggles should they feel the need. The
culdesacs are really easy to add (make the point on the end of the way
highway=turning_cicle). Be aware that if you don't add the bumps and
wiggles someone else probably will at some point so expect it to get
edited :D

--

=b