[talk-au] Fwd: [OSM-legal-talk] ODbL License + Outline Procedure

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Sat Feb 28 03:45:04 GMT 2009

On 28/02/2009, at 12:17 PM, Jim Croft wrote:

> Out of curiosity, would one of the Creative Commons
> (http://creativecommons.org/) licenses be able to provide
> thefunctionality and the flexibility we might need?

Basically, no - what is why the Open Database Licence is being worked
on. Essentially the problem is that while Creative Commons is fine for
creative works, OSM pretty much a collection of facts rather than a
creative work.

I haven't looked into all the details, but I believe that ODbL tries
to use "database copyright" when such a concept exists in a particular
countries legal system and other mechanisms when it doesn't.

Cheers,
     James Livingston