[talk-au] Major road cleanup

Roy Rankin rrankin at ihug.com.au
Mon Jan 5 03:13:16 GMT 2009

When to use ways as common boundaries is an interesting issue with OSM.
  I have been an active mapper since last Easter and therefore I have
though a lot about this. I am currently doing the following as a
guideline but sometimes do differently if it seems best.

Between roads and areas, I separate the road and the area.
My thinking here is that roads typically have public owned buffer strips
on either side and usually a solder, footpath, or curb.

The other factor is that roads have two dimensions (width and length)
but are represented by a one dimensional line in OSM. Thus even for the
case of parking bays on a road it still makes sense to me not use the
road as a boundary for the parking bay.

I do, however, use common boundaries between adjacent areas. As an
example, I have just mapped two schools with a common boundary and both
with a boundary with a park without a gap between the boundaries. In
this case I then ignore the warning messages from the JOSM validator.

For areas and water boundaries (such as coastlines and lake boundaries)
I use a common boundary. This makes things easier when the water
boundary is tweaked because of better images or survey data.

I would tend to treat rivers or streams which again are one dimensional
representations of two dimensional things the same way I would treat a road.

I hope others find these comments useful,
Roy Rankin