[talk-au] A couple of routing issues (NSW)

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 12:23:07 GMT 2009

Hi Ben, Matt,

I've been driving around the last 2 days using Matts/Maps  (MM).     (using
a Garmin Nuvi 260)
Usually they're very good but I have noticed some issues.

1)   Ben's   recalculating,recalculating.... problem.
      I had this on Newcastle St Fyshwick and it is reproduceable. I took
another gps trace tonight and the OSM data
      looks spot on.  Problem is between  Ipswich St and Isa St.

2)  Roundabout exit count.
     In Queanbeyan, going from Uriarra Rd to Norse Rd via the roundabout. MM
says to take 2nd exit rather than 3rd exit.
     The OSM data looks ok and there are no split roads or oneways to
confuse the count. The only
     unusual thing in the area is a relation on Uriarra Rd associated with a
nearby turn restriction.
     This happens both in simulation and real driving modes.

3)  On one occasion at nuvi startup I got it to calculate a route but then
drove off in another direction.
     Even though the display indicated where I actually was, the spoken
direction continued on as though I was obeying
     the original route.   Shortly the spoken directions and screen display
were about 1K apart.

     Eventually things settled down. This was WEIRD behaviour and I haven't
been able to reproduce it today.

PS It's really fun to have a piece of metal tell me where to go when, in
some cases, it's been me who has effectevly told
     it where to tell me to go :-)

PPS - got to buy a Navig8r tomorrow - the TTS is apparently in Aussie
accent  and pronounciation- maybe $150-ish at Harvey Norman.