[talk-au] Adelaide out of copyright street directory

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Jan 18 06:06:39 GMT 2009

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Cameron wrote:
> I have recently been into the SA state library and found an out of
> copyright SA street directory (from the 40s.) They had both Fuller's and
> Gregory's directories but the Gregory's were far easier to read and thus,
> to copy.

Important matter on copyright duration
I realised only very recently that we haven't been reading the rules correctly
and published material - the street directory, the paper map, expires after 25
years at midnight on the next  New Years Eve

       Published editions
The rule for duration of copyright in a published edition 25 years from the
end of the year of first publication; the AUSFTA did not change this rule.

source
http://www.copyright.org.au/pdf/acc/infosheets_pdf/G023.pdf

so at the end of 2008 we can use published material from any time up to and
including all of 1983.

this of course doesn't mean its correct - it may still have changed or never
been right at all