[talk-au] MMBW plan dates

BlueMM bluemm1975-osm at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 08:26:39 GMT 2009

keith maguire <kerpooka at ...> writes:
> In the discussion of the Adelaide out-of-copyright street maps BlueMM said:
> BTW, some of the MMBW index maps have dates like 1977 hand written on them,
> which means they aren't free till 2028!! The highest zoom maps I have seen are
> very old, and are free of copyright (there might be 1955+ in there). Even
> worse, if it isn't dated, it probably "unpublished" and the NLA site mentions
> it might
> have perpetual copyright!!!
>
> Conveniently at the moment I'm one of the maps librarians in the State Library
> of Victoria so I can clarify this a bit -- in terms of the dating of things
> -- I am no expert on copyright.
<<SNIP>>
> CheersKeith

Hi Keith,
Wow, what are the odds that someone: follows the OSM-AU mailing list & from the
State Library of Vic & is a Map Librarian!!!
Slightly off topic, but is there any chance the library could upgrade their web
viewing system to be like OSM's slippy map or Google's? That is, a drag-able
map with map tiles, leaving all of the work for the client, the libraries server
would just have to host the tiles. I find the interface to the current system
painful to use.

A few links that might be useful are:
OpenLayers http://openlayers.org/
Google Maps Image Cutter http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/googlemapimagecutter.asp

Not sure how the library does these kind of projects, but if resources are an
issue, a student project at a University might help. I have a few contacts that
may help.

Cheers,
BlueMM