[talk-au] Suburb boundaries

James Churchill pelrun at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 18:26:04 GMT 2009

Ben Kelley <ben.kelley at ...> writes:

> Hi.
>
> No I haven't found a good source of boundaries. The cadastral layer
> for the NSW Lands Department "geospatial portal" probably has them,
> but I'm not sure of the licensing issues.
>
>  - Ben.
>
> On 1/12/09, Franc Carter <franc.carter at ...> wrote:
> > Hi Ben,
> >
> > have you managed to find a good source of boundaries for NSW ?
> >
> > cheers

*snip*

> > --
> > Franc

Hi,

Have you looked at the data that the Australian Bureau of Statistics publishes?
It's free to download (apparently all the ABS publications have been since '05),
and includes a dataset of suburb boundaries.

It's described as "These boundaries have been based upon localities gazetted by
the Geographic Place name authority current at the time of the Census."

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/2923.0.30.001Main%20Features12006?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=2923.0.30.001&issue=2006&num=&view=

- James