[talk-au] A possible way to promote OSM

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 9 08:58:29 BST 2009

--- On Thu, 9/7/09, b.schulz.10 at scu.edu.au <b.schulz.10 at scu.edu.au> wrote:

> I'm starting as a maths teacher
> next year and will certainly be mentioning it to the
> geography teachers in passing ;). The hard bit will be
> relating it to the syllabus so it's not a waste of
> time.
>
> Obviously it would be an excellent exercise for geography
> students to do, but unless the syllabus allows for first
> hand cartography a teacher would really need to twist some
> arms to justify using class time for it.
>
> If anybody's got ideas on how to incorporate it into a
> maths lesson I'm all ears too.

I'll paste below a reply I received because I cross posted to the main talk list at the same time, along with my reply.

--- On Thu, 9/7/09, Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org> wrote:

> Back when I was at School, If I could have done a GCSE or
> A-Level in
> Cartography I would have done. Its a much under taught
> subject.
>
> It either needs to be taught as a Subject in its own right
> or as Part
> of "Technical Drawing", Its not that it can't be included
> as part of
> Geography its just there is more than enough material for a
> separate
> subject and its much ignored.

I was thinking about refining rivers and marking out local area stuff that normally doesn't appear on most maps, there virtually would be a lot of stuff that could be done in this area.

Then you come to your suggestion, technical drawing, and I was walking through a shopping centre today and that side of things came to mind where you normally can't get GPS signal but they could measure out the shop fronts using another method and extrapolating from known positions outside where you can get a good gps signal.

There is almost endless amounts of refinement and mapping that could be done, and would cross disciplines from geography to architecture to history even, since you can get copies of old maps and see how towns grew over time.