[talk-au] A possible way to promote OSM

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Thu Jul 9 10:25:19 BST 2009

b.schulz.10 at scu.edu.au <b.schulz.10 at scu.edu.au> wrote:
> If anybody's got ideas on how to incorporate it into a maths lesson I'm all ears too.

My high school maths touched on surveying, which is all geometry and
trigonometry. Map your school, the nearby playing field or shops or
whatever and calculate boundary lengths or areas of various features.

For senior high school students, what about studying a bit of the maths
involved in GPS? Techniques used in triangulation and estimating error,
for example. You may want to include relativistic effects such as
frequency shifts and time corrections for your best students.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au