[talk-au] Oodnadatta Track

Gordon Smith macalba at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 23:22:40 BST 2009

Hi Russell,

Yes, the track itself has been done.  The southern half, Marree to the
Coober Pedy turnoff had been done a little while ago; I finished the
northern half in June.  It's the road to the west of Lake Eyre:

  http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-28.31&lon=136.21&zoom=8&layers=0B00FTF

There are plenty other roads nearby though; I planned to do the Painted
Desert road, for exmaple, but ran out of time.

The track to the east of Lake Eyre is the Birdsville Track, then east again
is the Strzelecki Track.

There's no NextG access (though when I did the Strzelecki Track I was
surprised to find that NextG is now available at Moomba).

Happy travelling.

Gordon

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Russell Lang <gsview at ghostgum.com.au>wrote:

> It looks like the Oodnadatta Track hasn't been drawn yet.  I will be
> driving
> along this in September, and visiting a few of the national parks.  I can
> get
> access to an etrex legend GPS.  I'll be taking a Windows netbook with me.
> Is there someone who wants to work with me, to take the GPS traces and
> upload them?  Depending on internet access (Telstra NextG), I might be
> able to upload some information while still in the field.
>

> Russell Lang                   gsview at ghostgum.com.au
> Ghostgum Software Pty Ltd      http://www.ghostgum.com.au/

Gordon Smith
http://las.new-england.net.au/