[talk-au] Coastlines from admin boundaries

Matt White mattwhite at iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 14 10:55:02 BST 2009

I was just wandering around the Phillip Island area of Oz seeing how
things were shaping up, and noticed that the imported admin boundaries
seemed to be a substrantially better example of the coastline when
compared with the original PGS data - perhaps not perfect, but
definitely better...

Which made me think that maybe we should have a crack at cleaning up the
coast line now that we've got some decent data. Manually logging
coastlines accurately is a right pig - rocks are hard to trace around on
foot, and you've pretty much got to do it during the equinox tide with
the correct phase of the full moon up, at the high water mark while
standing on your left left singing "Auld Lang Syne" in Aramaic to get it
right... occurs to me that the ABS data that was imported is probably
substantially better quality than we will ever get either with a gps or
tracing off yahoo (some areas excepted).

But I wasn't sure if I should re-align the PGS way with the ABS admin
boundary way, or nuke the PGS way and tag the existing ABS boundary with
the coastline tags, or just dance a jig. I know admin boundaries can
change, but (global warming aside) the odds are pretty good those
boundaries set against coastlines probably aren't likely to change.

Anybody got any further thoughts?

Example of such: http://osm.org/go/uGsn4fN5--

Matt