[talk-au] 4wd only road

Matt White mattwhite at iinet.com.au
Sat Jul 18 11:06:20 BST 2009

I've been using 4wd_only (and occasionally 4WD_only ) for a while for
tracks that really require a high clearance vehicle, or that are marked
as 4wd-Only. Haven't marked heaps of them though...

I had a wiki tag proposal running for a bit for such a tag, but it was
around the time of the surface=*/smoothness=* debacle, and it got lost
in the furore.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/4WD_Only

Smoothness was an attempt to sort out the variable types of road surface
(unpaved is really just a generic tag - Rainbow beach is technically
"unpaved", ditto for Fraser Island, but in those cases, a 4WD only
marker would be valid (yes, I've seen Holden Commodores on rainbow, but
that didn't end so well)

I personally feel that it is a required tag, and it seems that there is
definite relevance to AU conditions. I did nothing with renders, but I
had modified Garmin IMG creation style sheets that would append "(4WD
Only)" to the street name - similar to the tagging you see in the VicMap
maps

Matt