[talk-au] Best linux mapping/routing setup

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Sat Jul 18 13:46:30 BST 2009

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 11:58:29 +0000 (GMT)
John Smith <delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I recently acquired a 7" eeePC and I wondered what everyone is using for mapping/routing etc to be useful on small screens?

I have the 9" eeePC running eeeBuntu standard with gpsdrive.  The eeePC sits behind the drivers seat and I use an 7" touch screen mounted on the dash for display and control.  My 4WD has a built in PC with similar setup with Ubuntu and 8" touch screen.

In the sd card slot I have a 32gb card with all Australian topo maps, plus g>>>>>map for the whole of Australia at zoom 13.

Additionally I have the osm data installed as part of the base install to run mapnik for gpsdrive.

I have it setup with mapnik generated maps as the default and can swap to the topo or gmap as required, ie when I get to an area with no/little osm data.

The biggest advantage to this is that whilst mapping you can see what has and hasn't been done.  Unfortunately it does not show the source type but I'm working on this.

--
Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com>