[talk-au] Best linux mapping/routing setup

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 18 15:21:08 BST 2009

--- On Sat, 18/7/09, Andrew Laughton <laughton.andrew at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would be interested in seeing that.
> Where is it.  I have never managed to get gpsd to work.

The hardest part is usually getting a kernel driver for the device, once you have some kind of /dev/ interface, all the devices I've tested so far show up as a ttyUSB0, it's a simple matter of doing:

gpsd -n /dev/ttyUSB0

for example, then if you 'telnet localhost 2947' and type 'R=1' you should see NMEA strings being dumped as quickly as gpsd gets input. Alternatively you can do the same thing by using 'gpspipe -r'

It looks like gpsd can handle multiple inputs, not sure if this is simultaneously or not.