[talk-au] Best linux mapping/routing setup

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 21 15:55:02 BST 2009

--- On Tue, 21/7/09, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:

> Yes 1.6Gb of osm text file but it's about 50M-60M when put
> into a pgsql database.

What are you doing that I'm not? On the map server I setup, there is currently 3.2G of postgres database files.

> Once setup there really is no maintenance, it's only when
> you want to update the osmdata that you have to load the new
> data.  Same as navit and tangogps really.

tangogps just pulls map tiles, it doesn't use any osm data directly, as for navit, there is an osm2navit app that converts the 1.6G osm file into some kind of binary format, but that's it you don't need to do anything else at that point, just download a new binary file if someone else is building it, which I'm trying to figure out how at the moment.