[talk-au] Best linux mapping/routing setup

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Tue Jul 21 21:53:36 BST 2009

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, Ross Scanlon wrote:
> I know the others like navit are easy to install etc but can you use a
> digital topo map with them? What happens when you run out of osm coverage?

to use a digital topo map with navit you would build it into the garmin format
img file and then use that

tangogps doesn't have the choice of adding topo
but on the other hand you can update a few tiles at a time (it took me ages to
figure it out, but its possible.)
so if the modem is working and i have phone coverage i get more tiles on the
road with GPRS

navit - you put all of australia on at once.