[talk-au] maxheight/height

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 11:55:50 BST 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 6:57 PM, John Smith <delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've noticed some people have tagged bridges with height=*, rather than tagging the road way under the bridge as maxheight=* and I'm kind of unsure which is better.

I think the bridge should be tagged.

Firstly, height is an attribute of the bridge, not of the road under the bridge.

Secondly, if you were to tag the "road way under the bridge", there is
actually only an infinitesimally small length of road "under" the
bridge, because the bridge is a way with - by definition - zero width.

Thirdly, I have heard some argue that tagging the "road way under the
bridge" would be more convenient for routing. But I think tagging for
the router in this way should be discouraged, just as tagging for the
renderer is.