[talk-au] maxheight/height

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 01:10:49 BST 2009

No, you're wrong here. Maxheight is an element of the way that goes
under the bridge.  It is caused by the bridge, but it is not part of
the bridge.  It is the road under the bridge that has the limitation,
not the bridge. Divided roads often have different max heights on each
side, but it is one level bridge over the top.

Max-height can be caused by overhanging trees, low wires, odd road
signs that stick out over the road, even buildings or roadside rocks
that bulge out over the road. Whatever the cause, it is the road
itself that is affected, and should be tagged.  On a motorway, the max
height section can be several km long - the distance between exits,
and it is all covered by the same limitation, legally. On other roads
it may be only a few meters, and could be covered by a node tag.

Stephen