[talk-au] maxheight/height

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Tue Jul 28 12:51:21 BST 2009

On 28/07/2009, at 11:04 AM, Ross Scanlon wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:34:00 +1000
> Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> A clearance tag could just as easily be misinterpreted as the
>>> maxheight tag.
>>
>> I don't see how. "bridge=yes; clearance=2.8"...
>
> Does this mean the bridge has a clearance of 2.8 or the road under
> the bridge has a clearance of 2.8.  To me this would suggest the
> bridge has a limit of 2.8 ie vehicles travelling over the bridge can
> not be above 2.8 high.

I'd say that "clearance" has way too many meanings to different
people. A tag called that could also make sense on a road with
4wd_only=yes, having it means the minimum height your vehicle's
underbody need to be above the ground.

Personally, I think that maxheight being placed on the restricted ways
makes the most sense. Doing that means you can tag the facts that each
of the two halves of a dual carriageway have different limits, and
also tag the maximum height of vehicles going over the bridge.