[talk-au] ABS post code areas

Franc Carter franc.carter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 10:21:00 BST 2009

I did the import of the ABS suburb boundaries.

When I did so I did some preliminary examination of the post code
boundaries. Some post code
boundaries were identical to a single suburb boundary. For those I also
created a postcode relation
that included the same ways as the suburb boundary relation.

However many of the postcode boundaries did not match to suburbs perfectly -
I suspect because
ABS postcodes often include multiple ABS suburbs. I couldn't think of a way
to work out which of the
ways making up the suburb boundaries should be included in the postcode
boundaries for these,
so I didn't add them.

So, I believe the problem is how  to solve that issue, with the additional
hurdle that some the ABS
boundaries will have been tweaked based on local knowledge (I at least, have
done this).

A very low tech solution that I took for a couple of postcode before I got
distracted was to
export the postcode boundaries as individual .osm files, load them u p and
then eyeball them
with respect to the previously imported suburb boundaries

cheers

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 2:55 PM, John Smith <delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Not sure who is working on this specifically or if there was a group, but
> how far did post code area data get to?
>
> If things have stalled, what's the reason and is there anything to kick
> them off again?
>
> This relates to a discussion on the main talk list about is_in tags being
> redundant, the only objection was from people that didn't want to re-code
> some of their routing software, but they don't necessarily need to as an OSM
> file could be produced weekly that automatically fills that info in from
> boundary data.

Franc