[talk-au] Putting things into perspective...

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 29 18:15:23 BST 2009

I was watching the State of the Map Canadian talk and they point out how low the population density of Canada is, also the fact most of the population lives within about 100 miles of the US border. Australia has a lower population density but suffers the same fate when it comes to the majority of the population clustering around the border essentially.

Most information is from CIA world fact book site, which gives July 2009 estimates.

Landmass in Mill. Sq km
-----------------------
2. Canada 10
3. USA    9.8
6. Aust.  7.7
85.UK	  0.2

Population in Mill
------------------
4. USA    307 (82% urban)
23.UK      61 (90% urban)
39.Canada  33 (80% urban)
55.Aust.   21 (89% urban)

Information from wikipedia is from some 2004 estimate but the order is what I was after the actual density can be calculated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_population_density

Population Density (People per Sq km)
52. UK	  305.0
177.USA	   31.3
227.Canada  3.3
232.Aust.   2.7
238.Denmark 0.03

Density Map
http://www.mapsofworld.com/australia/images/populatilon-dencity.gif

To sum up, Australia is the 6th largest country in the world, by area excluding Antarctica etc, yet almost the lowest population density in the world, and for the most part Canada is in the same boat.