[talk-au] Cheap data logger

Delta Foxtrot delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 8 09:51:09 BST 2009

--- On Sat, 30/5/09, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> I've no intention of collecting "smoothness"
> data, there are far more interesting things to do than
> that.

I've been reflecting on this statement over the last few days while I've been filling in roads that have been GPS tracked by not marked, or filling in railways from northern and north western NSW, Armidale and west, although I'm 99% sure a lot of the western tracks north of Armidale and Moree that were used for transporting grain etc have been left to rot.

You are right to some extent about the smoothness, I've seen some landsat plotted roads that are nothing like the GPS tracks, but at least something in the rough vacinity is marked, atm for most of the surrounding areas near here it's completely blank, but there is roads and back tracks all over the place.

Simply put something would be 1000x better than nothing, although good data isn't wasted either, and I've spent time re-aligning major roads to follow GPS tracks instead of the landsat plots.

To this end there is a solar powered GPS data logger on ebay, if no where else, that claims 100+ hours and is the cheapest out of the lot that I found.

$60 + $10 postage http://cgi.ebay.com.au/i-Blue-PS-757-PRO-32CH-Bluetooth-SOLAR-GPS-Data-Logger_W0QQitemZ310146404714QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Electronics_GPS?hash=item48362a916a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A15%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50