[talk-au] Maritime boundaries

Delta Foxtrot delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 14 14:02:18 BST 2009

--- On Sun, 14/6/09, Darrin Smith <beldin at beldin.org> wrote:
> Interestingly that page I linked lists the Exclusive
> Economic Zone (the
> 200nm case) as extending from the outside of the 12nm
> limit, which
> would actually make it 212nm from the baseline case.

An exclusive economic zone extends for 200 nautical miles (370 km) beyond the baselines of the territorial sea, thus it includes the territorial sea and its contiguous zone.[3] A coastal nation has control of all economic resources within its exclusive economic zone, including fishing, mining, oil exploration, and any pollution of those resources. However, it cannot regulate or prohibit passage or loitering above, on, or under the surface of the sea, whether innocent or belligerent, within that portion of its exclusive economic zone beyond its territorial sea. Before 1982, coastal nations arbitrarily extended their territorial waters in an effort to control activities which are now regulated by the exclusive economic zone, such as offshore oil exploration or fishing rights (see Cod War). Indeed, the exclusive economic zone is still popularly, though erroneously, called a coastal nation's territorial waters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_waters#Exclusive_economic_zone