[talk-au] Petition to MP

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Mon Jun 15 11:06:39 BST 2009

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, b.schulz.10 at scu.edu.au wrote:
> Personally I think that marketing to the masses would yield better results.
> Ie: organise more mapping parties where newbies are encouraged to attend
> and are introduced to a friendly, supportive atmosphere. Or get a few small
> regions "finished" and get some printed maps into tourist information
> centers and youth hostels. I dare say that small regions such as the Sydney
> CBD and Canberra would be excellent pilot projects which could be started
> right away.
>
> By getting lots of free maps out to the people it broadens our readership.
> Eventually I think it would be really awesome to get an OSM street
> directory onto bookshop shelves, starting with capital cities (or regional
> centers, as they're smaller goals) and eventually (in 5-10 years)
> publishing an "OSM touring guide", complete with a Wikipedia-like database
> of town descriptions, free camping sites etc, kind of like a compeditor to
> Explore Australia.
>
> Anyway, I've seriously rambled on here. I think that both general populace
> marketing and MP petitioning are needed, but if somebody has some spare
> time and a choice, what does Talk-Au think they should concentrate on?
.
I have half written a letter to Virgin Blue.
I wrote it watching the abysmal GPS service on the plane, with the badly
spelled place names eg Tumat for Tumut.
Already our map is far far better than the one they are using.
What is holding me up is the licence - I can't realistically write and say
"well it might be this licence, but it might not, either."