[talk-au] How to map out streets the most efficently

Delta Foxtrot delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 16:08:08 BST 2009

In my up an coming trip to SE QLD, I'm probably going to go through a number of largish, relatively speaking, regional towns that aren't mapped out except for a handful of streets and most if not all were from landsat imagery.

Now does anyone have suggestions on how to basically drive the entire town the most efficiently with the minimal amount of overlap, or how does one plan such a feat.

Towns I'm hoping to map, given enough time, include:

Moree:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-29.46771&lon=149.83826&zoom=14
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=moree&z=14

Goondiwindi:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-28.5381&lon=150.3039&zoom=14
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=goondiwindi&z=14

Millmerran:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-27.8779&lon=151.2712&zoom=14
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=millmerran&z=14

Pittsworth (which wasn't even marked till this evening at all):
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-27.71&lon=151.6359&zoom=14
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=pittsworth&z=14

Oakey:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-27.43068&lon=151.71903&zoom=14
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=oakey&z=14

Going the most direct way through these towns will be over 700km, normally the trip is closer to about 600km, and that figure doesn't include the extra milage doing streets. I have a bit of a time constraint as I'd prefer not to be driving after dark and bumping heads with the odd roo :)

When I mapped out Inverell I was a little less prepared/experienced but even so it still took about 3hrs of driving to nail all the streets, which if I do even half the time in most towns I'm looking at a pretty hefty amount of time in the day just mapping.

Is there any cheats people could suggest to speed up the process, even if the data collected isn't perfect but would allow for any blank spots to be extrapolated to fill in the rest of the picture?

If I set off at first light, I'll have about 10 hours of daylight and need to travel 700km, although the closer I am to my destination by night fall the smaller the animal I'm likely to hit. Just to give you an idea, out round Goondiwindi I've seen 6' roos.

Unfortunately none of the roads I'm taking are signed at anything higher than 100km/hr, so I can't make up time that way, and yes there is highway patrols along at least half the roads, if not most.

If there is a remote chance of extra time the other towns I'm going through are Nanango, Goomeri and Kilkivan, all of which have pretty poor mapping as well, but are smaller than the towns I've out lined above.

Thoughts, hints and tips will be appreciated.