[talk-au] Hi all ...

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Wed Jun 17 13:10:59 BST 2009

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:20:21 +1000
"Dan O'Hara" <ohara5 at homemail.com.au> wrote:

> I have two immediate questions (actually I have a lot but these have been
> preying on my mind as a result of my breach).  When you go to an attraction,
> be it an outdoor winery/farm tour or say, fun park or caravan park, are the
> tracks worthwhile to trace into OSM?

Probably not, but they may be useful for marking out the boundaries of the attraction.

>  Secondly, and unrelated to the first
> question . if tracks you place end up being radically different to the
> established map should you just stop at the track and not trace so others
> can see your green/blue track or should you put in a potentially conflicting
> trace? I am (slowly) gaining knowledge in some of the less obvious screens
> to see who placed what trace where but, for the same technical reasons as
> above I can not "view" maps on OSM so this has not been easy.

See if the way has a source tag if it does and this is other than survey or gps then it's generally fair game to move it.

As an aside to this why do people upload gps traces then trace them using potlatch etc?

I've always used josm for big uploads/edits.  Potlatch when I just want to quickly correct and error I've found or when using keepright.

Load the area I'm working in from osm then loaded the gpx file into josm.  I then edit the ways etc of the gpx files using the tools in josm, simplify way, align nodes in circle/line etc then upload the changes to osm.

I don't have a problem with uploading gps traces to osm but I can see no benifit if I'm just going to edit them in josm anyway and given that they are all one second data that's a lot of data to put on the osm servers when not really necessary.

Cheers
Ross