[talk-au] Uploading traces (Was; Hi all ...)

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Thu Jun 18 04:59:21 BST 2009

> --- On Wed, 17/6/09, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:
>> The greater good is supported by the end product not by
>> data (GPX files)
>> that, although supports the end product, is not shown in
>> the final map or
>> routing solutions.

> We were always told to show our working out in school for a reason, to
> prove we knew how to derive the answer, and if not to show where we went
> wrong, otherwise you can only make assumptions about the final product
> without any certainty of how you came to that conclusion.

Which has nothing to do with osm or anything in the real world for that
matter?

I do my work in the real world but I only have to show the reasoning if
requested and then only with valid reason, the final product is all I have
to show otherwise.

If the data was challenged that I entered then osm can contact me for the
original data.  In the meantime why are we filling up storage on osm with
data that is not producing the final product ie the map.

> Which is why I refined my answer in further emails, if someone does have
> better than consumer grade kit it's all the more reason for it to end up
> in the OSM database to give better averages, rather than have them skewed
> by less accurate equipment because of assumptions made by those committing
> changes without showing their working out.

No, if someone had better than consumer grade equipment then that should
be uploaded and locked so that it can not be changed except by the person
uploading the data or on request to them.  It would override the consumer
grade equipment totally.

>> Most consumer grade will be less than 5m but generally
>> arround 10m
>> depending on particular hardware used but that's a matter
>> of checking the
>> HDOP at the time.  At no point did I say anything
>
> GPS chips don't always get HDOP accurate, or they lie.

But they are very rarely (less than once a year) wrong.

--
Cheers
Ross