[talk-au] My "viewing" problems (continued...)

Dan O'Hara ohara5 at homemail.com.au
Mon Jun 22 13:57:47 BST 2009

Hi guys

Thanks for your tips.  I have extended my search to the newbies forum too.
On top of what I've already done this is what I've done tonight.

.         I can open both JOSM and Merkaator and the maps open ok - although
without any familiarity of these two - I can see my general area in both
slippy maps.

.         I have used tracert and in all 3 tile locations I have a single
"timed out" at step 2 ie to my ISP, then it works until step 23 when it
times out again (through to step 30 after which the program stops) after
"LMN-LMN1.site.ja.net" at 146.97.42.62 - I'm not sure what I was supposed to
see here though?

.         I changed the DNS to opendns and tried opening maps and pinging
and tracerting again.  I also rebooted with similar lack of success.

.         I opened the links http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/0/0/0.png
http://b.tile.openstreetmap.org/0/0/0.png
http://c.tile.openstreetmap.org/0/0/0.png and they all worked.

.         I have looked at my internet options and images aren't blocked (I
have no trouble downloading images from anywhere else)

.         I have checked my firewall (Windows Defender) and anti-virus
program (McAfee) but see nothing that I would say is causing difficulty.

.         I unloaded some of the add-ins I installed recently for Firefox.

.         I checked the hosts file in %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\ and
only saw 127.0.0.1 local host and ::1 local host (so I assume that was ok)

I have Windows Vista with SP2.  I keep all my programs up to date.  I am on
broadband with oodles of memory - and didn't have a problem until 6 weeks or
so ago.

Very frustrating.

Any further tips?

Ta