[talk-au] Cheap data logger

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 26 09:05:38 BST 2009

--- On Mon, 22/6/09, John Smith <delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-65-CHANNEL-USB-GPS-RECEIVER-DONGLE-DATA-LOGGER-AGPS_W0QQitemZ160342651814QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Devices?hash=item25552ab3a6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A15%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
>
> And has better specs, 1Hz logging, 256k points... Although
> no solar panel...

I ordered this monday night and it turned up in the post today. This device works reasonably well, the major downside is it doesn't have any kind of battery nor does it come with a cigarette socket adapter.

The windows software wasn't too bad either if you want to geotag photos or show tracks over the top of google maps, and/or export to html, but I usually use linux so this won't be much use to me.

It does come with a stiffened USB lead that was handy for bending 90 degrees and getting some elevation away from where the cig socket is in the car.

However I already had a USB cig socket adapter and took it out for a run this afternoon and grabbed some more missing streets for OSM.

It even works under linux and I can set the config options and download data from it and delete data stored on it with this app:

http://www.zedlitz.de/skytraq/

All up I'd have to give a thumbs up for both the device and the person selling it.