[talk-au] Junctions (to name or not to name)

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Sun Jun 28 01:09:58 BST 2009

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 09:41:38 +1000
Rick Peterson <ausrick at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Quick question about roundabouts. (junction=roundabout)
>
> Originally, I didn't name roundabout junctions, but when I validate my
> work in JOSM, it identifies them as 'Unnamed Ways' in the warnings section.
>
> I've tried naming a few using the name of the primary road that connects
> with the junction. The validation warnings disappear, however, the
> rendered work looks messy as the streets AND roundabouts get named at
> close zooms.
>
> See Mile End Road at Rouse Hill NSW at
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-33.68113&lon=150.92323&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF
> for an example.
>
> I've had a look at the wiki information on junctions, however there
> doesn't seem to be any information about whether to name or not to name
> the junctions ( see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:junction%3Droundabout )
>
> Any advice or comments ?
>
> Rick

Name them.

The current routers such as gosmore will not find a route through them without a name.

Also add the osmarender:renderName=no and osmarender:renderRef=no tags, this does not work currently with mapnik but some renderers do use them.

I know it looks messy but the information needs to be included and the renderers can be modified to exclude them, eg using gpsdrive I've rewritten the osm.xml file to not include names when there is a tag junction=roundabout for my own use, it's not in the general release.  It's as simple as that to exclude the name from the renderer but it's there for gosmore routing.

--
Cheers
Ross