[talk-au] Junctions (to name or not to name)

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Sun Jun 28 05:11:25 BST 2009

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:03:48 -0700 (PDT)
John Smith <delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Sat, 27/6/09, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> > I agree with Darrin, we have some named roundabouts in this
> > district.
> > If gosmore needs a name to route someone down a street,
> > around a roundabout or
> > down a motorway link, that problem needs addressing too.
> > I name roundabouts which have a name of their own, and
> > leave the others
> > unnamed.

gosmore does not need a name to route via a street.

> Ummm not all streets are named, how does gosmore cope with that?

This is not a problem with gosmore, the problem occurs where you have a street going through a roundabout without ANY name on the roundabout with the street named on both sides of the roundabout.  It does not recognise the street continues through the roundabout and then out the other side.  If there's no name on the streets or roundabout then it work's correctly.  Likewise if the streets are named and the roundabout is named then there's not a problem.

> It seems like a bug with gosmore and it should just use the exit number like other software I've used, even though they probably have names for all streets.

I don't believe it's a bug just a case of recognition of the street.  The name could be of the roundabout and does not have to be the same as the street, it just works better when the roundabout is named.

> Also not all roundabouts have a primary way going through them, they can in fact be the junction of multiple primary ways, eg Gwydir and Newell Highways in Moree, and in fact the Gwydir Highway and New Highway share about 2 or 3 blocks or road before they split again.

They should be tagged with the highest level way (ie the primary way) going through them (not necessarily "highway=primary"), it's on the wiki.

--
Cheers
Ross