[talk-au] Junctions (to name or not to name)

Rick Peterson ausrick at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 29 10:30:20 BST 2009

Thanks everyone for your input regarding roundabouts and under what
circumstances to tag them with a name=*

Whilst some opinions differ, I'd suggest that the majority of people who
have responded to my post name roundabout junctions only when the
roundabout has an official name (not the name of any primary road that
forms a part of the junction) To me this seems a logical approach and is
based on the "mapping only what we see" method that I often see written
or referred to.

I agree that it doesn't make sense to name junctions purely to get a
particular renderer or routing program to perform as required.

When approaching an unnamed roundabout with my particular GPS navigator
using OSM routable data, it will speak - "enter roundabout and take
second exit to Foo street" This is a perfectly acceptable and practical
driving instruction.

At this stage, I've removed the naming of roundabouts in the data that
I'm working on, as none of them have official names.

That leaves outstanding, two issues:
1. The error warnings in JOSM Validator for unnamed ways that are
junction=roundabout
2. Lack of wiki information for newcomers (such as myself) when
researching under what circumstances to name junction=roundabout

Given that roundabouts are an incredibly common form of junction in
Australia (I'd imagine in other countries too), I'd like to promote a
consistent approach to how and under what circumstances they are named.

As a newbie, I'll have to research further on how to reach agreement at
an international level on naming conventions for junction=roundabout and
then contact the JOSM development team regarding the Validator selecting
roundabouts as error warnings.

In the interim, I'd draw your attention to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Roundabouts
as a potential location for expanded information to assist people in
Australia when looking for clarification on this issue.

Cheers,

Rick :)