[talk-au] Copyright ruling on compiled lists

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat May 2 01:30:28 BST 2009

On Fri, 1 May 2009, mattwhite at iinet.net.au wrote:
>  While this may not change to much in AU for OSM, it's still an interesting
> ruling - particuarly the possible future review of the Telstra v Desktop
> Marketing decision.
>
>  IceTV won their appeal against Channel 9 over the reuse of 9's TV guide.
>

> http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/business/story/0,28124,25389042-17044,
>00.html
>
>  Matt

I don't think that they won "over reuse of Nine's guide"
the High Court has found that it was not a work of sufficient creative skill
or similar

read the judgement
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/high_ct/2009/14.html

we certainly have a return to way the law was written on copyright.

a review of Telstra vs Desktop Marketing would be of interest to OSM, as
reverse engineering a database is one of the things that the "new licence" is
supposed to protect against.