[talk-au] Rivers

Delta Foxtrot delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Wed May 20 01:09:00 BST 2009

--- On Tue, 19/5/09, Ian Sergeant <isergean at hih.com.au> wrote:

> Waterways should be mapped   Sometimes
> landsat or yahoo imagery can help.

What's the url for landsat or how do I make use of it, yahoo images are pretty course in rural areas from what I've seen so far.

> Sometime the ABS suburb/town divisions follow a
> waterway.  Probably best to

Not sure if it's rounding or the object they are following has moved or what not, but the ABS boundaries go close but not always the same as the boundary they follow.

> use a single way, waterway=river tag to start with, and
> move on when you
> are more familiar to mapping the area.  It is also
> sometime possible to map
> rivers through towns by interpolation - it runs halfway
> between two streets
> etc.  Be sure to mark its source as interpolation, so
> someone with a more
> accurate source can adjust later if required.

The river runs through this town and divides it in half so that isn't the issue, getting something on the map that looks like it is.

> Tag abandnoed railways with railway=disused (provided the
> track & stuff is
> still there).  It is a fairly common tag in OSM.

Yes the track is still there, but hasn't been used in a decade or more, it's not the tag I'm having trouble with but getting data about where the track is to map it.