[talk-au] Rivers

Delta Foxtrot delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Wed May 20 01:27:35 BST 2009

--- On Tue, 19/5/09, Ian Sergeant <isergean at hih.com.au> wrote:

> If you are using potlatch, then the options menu allows you
> to select a
> background layer.  Don't count on landsat being
> acccurate enough for your
> purposes either.

landsat doesn't seem to be an option, unless I'm over looking something, only yahoo a few OSM options out of copyright and open topo.

> So what is the problem you are having, if not with the
> location or the tag?

Making a river look like a river...

> Welcome to OSM.  You can use the imagery available,
> you can walk the line

I'm not quite fit enough to walk/run the 130+ km of track :)

> with a GPS, you can find and interpolate from surrounding
> features, points,
> or a combination of the above.  You can find an out of
> copyright map from
> when the railway was built, which may be able to use to map
> the route once
> you have one or two points.

The line shows on parish maps, I'll have to try and get access to them from the library or something.

> What is the town you are mapping?

Inverell, NSW

Not 100% sure if what I've done so far is right or not, but there was only a handful of streets when I started.