[talk-au] Causeways

Mark Pulley mrpulley at lizzy.com.au
Sun May 24 14:58:34 BST 2009

On 24/05/2009, at 10:22 PM, Ross Scanlon wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2009 04:48:05 -0700 (PDT)
> Delta Foxtrot <delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> What's the best way to tag causeways, I've only managed to find a
>> couple of non-official references, and nothing on this page.
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features
>>

> Perhaps
> highway=ford

I had been thinking about the same question. I have tagged a couple of
causeways as fords, but this implies that you have to drive through
water, whereas most causeways are either (1) dry most of the time or
(2) designed to let water under them through pipes except during
floods. Would bridge=yes be a suitable alternative to the second
option (even though it strictly speaking isn't a bridge)?

Mark P. (de-lurking from the list, from Bathurst NSW)
"They offered to transport me back to any point in history that I
would care to
  go, and so I had them send me back to last Thursday night, so I
could pay my
  phone bill on time."
  (Weird Al Yankovic, "Everything You Know Is Wrong")