[talk-au] Causeways

Darrin Smith beldin at beldin.org
Mon May 25 12:19:45 BST 2009

On Mon, 25 May 2009 20:26:45 +1000
Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 May 2009, Mark Pulley wrote:
> > Wikipedia also has
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_water_crossing - this is what I
> > have been thinking of as 'causeway'.
> >
> > Do we need a new setting highway=low_water_crossing ?
>

> ford should do that OK.
>

> We have an interesting language problem in OSM, where the Poms push
> forward pommie English, and the rest of the English speaking world
> may not use that word that way, and causeway which has two clear
> meanings to us and the Yanks, is a good example.
> Ford isn't in common use in Oz, except in Ford vs Holden.

Really? We've always called 'em Fords here in SA, they called causeways
elsewhere? And a causeway to me is exactly the definition I saw posted
earlier from wikipedia, so the whole confusion is confusing to me :)

> Something else I can't work out how to tag is a jetty, the thing that
> juts out into water and boats tie up to. But after 8 years of drought
> here, perhaps I needn't worry too much.

man_made = pier works doesn't it? That's whay I've seen people using
and the definition on map features seems to fit it.

--

=b