[talk-au] Mapping railway lines

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 04:01:54 BST 2009

2009/10/7 swanilli <swanilli at gmail.com>:
> The problem is you will find not with the metal railway carriages but with
> the coating on the windows. I find my GPS works well in almost all carriages
> (I get accuracy typically of 6 m).

The metal box is a large part of the problem, the windows are just
usually the easiest way to get a signal into the train but if they
increase the density or add a metalic coating obviously this is going
to cause problems too.

I've done large sections of NSW and Qld railways from yahoo imagery,
while not 100% accurate it is the best way we have until some govt
agency releases data or someone is able to get a trace.